Improved Bangladesh hope for more tours

Bangladesh skipper Mushfiqur Rahim hopes his side will get more opportunities to face Australia after proving themselves worthy adversaries during their tied Test series.

长沙夜网

Derided for so many years as cricketing minnows, Bangladesh underscored their status as a nation on the rise when they claimed their first Test victory over Australia in Dhaka.

The hosts fell short in Chittagong, losing the second Test by seven wickets after Nathan Lyon snared career-best figures of 13-154.

It was nonetheless another impressive series for Bangladesh, who have also claimed maiden Test wins over England and Sri Lanka within the past 18 months.

Australia’s first visit to Bangladesh since 2006 was conducted under enormous security after fears of a terrorist attack led to a scheduled tour being cancelled in 2015.

The outcome was testimony to the extensive planning by both teams but also a reminder that Bangladesh have become a formidable opponent on home wickets.

“Probably, (Australia) hadn’t thought that it would be difficult like this,” Mushfiqur said.

“I think the boys from our side, they put up their hands in the past especially and did really well.

“In the last 12 months we beat England and Australia so hopefully, if we can have more opportunities to play against these teams, I think we can also learn a lot of things.

“Hopefully the ICC will look at this.”

Mushfiqur’s side will have their credentials further tested when they tour South Africa before hosting Sri Lanka over the next six months.

Bangladesh continue to build depth but none of their players are as important as Shakib Al Hasan, the world’s No.1 ranked allrounder.

Shakib claimed man of the match honours in Dhaka with a first innings top score of 84 and 10 wickets as Bangladesh claimed a famous 20-run victory.

Menzel will address his AFL flaws: agent

Axed forward Daniel Menzel will draw on his resilience built up over four knee reconstructions to force his way back into Geelong’s AFL side.

长沙夜网

The 25-year-old has been dropped for the Cats’ qualifying final against Richmond on Friday despite kicking 38 goals in 17 games this season.

Given Menzel is off contract at season’s end, the surprise omission by coach Chris Scott adds uncertainty to his future after being linked with a move home to South Australia.

Menzel knows he needs to improve on forward pressure, according to his agent Adam Ramanauskas.

“He’s disappointed … but at the same time there’s still a lot of football to be played in September,” Ramanauskas told Melbourne radio station RSN on Friday.

“He knows he’s got to work on that defensive side of the game. He’s prepared to do that.

“Of course he was (surprised), absolutely. Any person would be surprised when they’re dropped when they’ve kicked 38 goals in 17 games for the season.

“He’s got to take it on the chin.”

Menzel is no stranger to setbacks.

He has overcome four knee reconstructions, playing no football between 2012 and 2014, 35 games in the past two seasons from a career total of 58.

“He’s got a great attitude,” Ramanauskas said.

“After coming back from four knee reconstructions, of course he’s going to have a great attitude.”

Scott said last month that they would like to keep Menzel, adding the club tabled a two-year deal earlier this year.

The parties mutually decided to put the contract issue to one side until the season was over.

Menzel was named as an emergency for Friday night’s blockbuster.

Palaszczuk lauds Gold Coast Logies win

And the Logies go to – the Gold Coast.

长沙夜网

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk says she’s secured a major win over her Victorian counterpart after it was confirmed TV’s night-of-nights will be held in the Sunshine State for the next four years.

The awards will be held at The Star casino from next July.

The Victorian government announced on Monday it was ending decades of support for the annual awards night, claiming the event didn’t represent value for money.

Ms Palaszczuk believes that sentiment is purely sour grapes after being gazumped by her government.

“I think they’re just a bit upset frankly,” she said after the announcement on Friday.

“Just wait until you see the flow-on impacts, Queensland will be showcased … it’s the Gold Coast, it’s Star (casino), it’s everything that our state has to offer.”

Ms Palaszczuk estimates the deal will bring $40 million to Queensland over the four years, confirming promotion of the state through television and other mediums was a factor of the agreement.

Gold Coast mayor Tom Tate, who on Monday said the Logies would be a perfect fit by welcoming a “tacky industry” to a “tacky city”, had changed his tune on Friday.

“You know I like doing cut-throughs, and now that we’re awarded this prestigious event, it’s come to a prestigious city,” Cr Tate said.

Channel Nine host Karl Stefanovic was outspoken in his criticism of the decision to move the Logies from Victoria, a stance he repeated when pressed by Ms Palaszczuk on the Today Show.

“I am not one of these people, Premier, who floats with the breeze on this,” Mr Stefanovic said.

“(Victorian premier) Daniel Andrews had an absolute shock losing it, you must feel like you have picked up a coup.”

TV Week editor Emma Nolan believed Mr Stefanovic would come around to the idea, and believed celebrities will embrace the new location for the awards.

“Of course Karl’s going to be on the red carpet,” Ms Nolan told AAP.

“They’ll all love it. I can see coming up here and not just staying for one night but staying for a few days, bringing their families. It’s a great way to showcase the state.”

‘Borg/McEnroe’ rivalry movie kicks off Toronto festival

 

“Borg/McEnroe” stars Shia LaBeouf as fiery U.

长沙夜网

S. tennis star John McEnroe and Sverrir Gudnason as cool Swedish champion Björn Borg, whose epic matches in the 1980s set the world of tennis alight.

“Their rivalry had something universal that transcended the sport,” director Janus Metz told a news conference. “It had deep existential questions about how two people could drive themselves above and beyond.”

LaBeouf, 31, in his first big movie since a string of arrests for drunken or disorderly behavior in the past three years, acknowledged that he shared some of McEnroe’s hot-headed personality.

“Acting is like athletics – ordinary men with extraordinary effort putting themselves out there,” the actor said, calling McEnroe the “bad Santa” of the tennis world.

“Borg/McEnroe” is not the only film getting a Toronto showcase whose drama plays out on the tennis court. Emma Stone, in her first movie since winning an Oscar for musical “La La Land” in February, plays Billie Jean King as she fought 1970s sexism and faced off against Bobby Riggs (Steve Carell) in “Battle of the Sexes.”

The Toronto festival has become one of the most important stops for filmmakers looking to showcase their work in the long Hollywood awards season that culminates with the Oscars, on March 4 next year. The slate this year has been trimmed to 260 from around 300 in 2016.

The festival’s chief executive, Piers Handling, said this year’s line-up reflected a “fascination with people at the top, people who have sacrificed everything.”

Other movies featuring personal struggles include the world premieres of “Stronger,” starring Jake Gyllenhaal as a man who lost both his legs in the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing, and “Kings” in which Halle Berry plays a woman trying to protect her brood of children during the 1992 Los Angeles riots.

Other films on offer include “Suburbicon,” a George Clooney-directed satire tackling racial prejudice in 1950s America, and Darren Aronofsky’s horror movie “mother!”, starring Academy Award winner Jennifer Lawrence.

Angelina Jolie brings her film “First They Killed My Father” about the Khmer Rouge genocide in Cambodia to Toronto, while “Darkest Hour” stars Gary Oldman as British World War Two Prime Minister Winston Churchill.

 

 

(Reporting by Alastair Sharp and Chris Arsenault; Editing by Grant McCool and Leslie Adler)

APRA panel appointed for CBA probe

The three members appointed by Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA) are former APRA chairman Dr John Laker, former competition watchdog chairman Prof Graeme Samuel, and company director and former Reserve Bank of Australia board member Jillian Broadbent.

长沙夜网

“APRA is pleased to have secured the services of three highly experienced and credentialed panel members to conduct the prudential inquiry,” APRA chairman Wayne Byres said in a statement on Friday.

The panel will submit a progress report to APRA by January 31, 2018 and a final report by April 30, 2018.

Mr Byres announced the inquiry in August, following a civil suit filed by the federal government’s financial intelligence unit, AUSTRAC.

AUSTRAC alleges that CBA had breached money-laundering and terrorism-financing laws by failing to provide on-time reports.

The inquiry aims to identify any shortcomings in the governance, culture and accountability frameworks and practices within the Commonwealth Bank, and make recommendations on how to address them.

The inquiry’s terms of reference say that the panel should not make specific determinations regarding matters currently the subject of legal proceedings, other regulatory reviews or investigations by regulators other than APRA, or customers’ individual cases.

APRA will provide support to the inquiry panel and may obtain other external expertise and advice.

Jillian Broadbent is a former board member of the Reserve Bank of Australia, is on the board of Woolworths, is chair of Swiss Re Life and Health Australia, and chancellor of the University of Wollongong.

Dr John Laker is a former APRA chairman, chairman of The Banking and Finance Oath Ltd, a council member of the University of Technology Sydney, and a director of Cancer Council NSW.

He is also an external expert for the International Monetary Fund and has participated in reviews of banking systems and supervisory arrangements in the US, Israel, Indonesia, and Europe.

Prof Graeme Samuel is a former chairman of the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission, a professorial fellow in Monash University’s Business School, chair of the Monash Business School Business advisory board, and a councillor of the Australian National University.